Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Sun is Shining in Iqaluit

We arrived safe and sound in Iqaluit where Terin and I said our goodbyes to the three other girls heading to other destinations. It was bitter sweet because we know the next time will all see each other this adventure will be over.

The flight was small, but the service was fabulous! The flight attendants offered us hot towels, warm breakfast, coffee, and cookies, though I slept through a majority of the offerings, I was still impressed. The seats were also seemingly much larger than on any other flight I have ever been on, which provided great comfort for curling up and snoozing.

As we began to land Rebekah woke me and I peered out the window to fast land forms covered in white. It truly was spectacular and beautiful to see. As the plane began to land, I looked out the window again and felt almost a familiarity to the place thanks to Nick preparing us so well. All the photos he shared with us of Iqaluit were right in front of us for us to explore! (Terin even ran into someone that knew Nick and we've seen his name in various spots as we've explored the town.) While we waited for our luggage I even found myself looking around wondering how many of the people here were former students of Nick's.

Once we got our luggage, Terin and I quickly checked into our very nice hotel and geared up and went for a walk around town. We saw the high school, the legislature building (unfortunately closed on a Sunday), the CBC building, we saw the round church, and vast expanses of land with no trees! It truly is a beautiful place here, one that has so far surpassed my expectations!

I learned two very important things on our walk. My knees get very cold, very quickly and I will definitely resort to more layering of the legs, and if you breath to heavy it forms ice around the from of the parka, which I thought was fun until it defrosted. Lesson learned.

(Photos to come when we find computers with ports other than just usb.)

ps- the first breath of Arctic air smelt like jet engine fuel as we got off the plane. However the second breath was clean and crisp and refreshing!

No comments: