Monday, March 31, 2014

Full blown arctic blizzard!

The storm has turned into a full blown blizzard meaning that school has been cancelled for the morning.   Unlike in the South, here school can be cancelled for the morning and resume in the afternoon.

I never expected to have a "snow day" in the North as I expected everyday to essentially fall into the category of a southern snow day. However, upon watching the blizzard progress it is clear that any expectation of having small children venture outside to walk to school would likely result in them blowing away. Even the typical noises of the morning snowmobiles, water trucks and sewage trucks I have become accustom to are missing and replaced with large gusts of wind. It makes me think about how it must have been for Inuit living on the land during a blizzard.

I'm sad I will miss the morning with the students. I feel like so many things have happened that have limited my time with them.


                                            This is the typical morning view I wake up to.

This is the blizzard view I woke up to this morning.

Last night the blowing snow made the Valley look really cozy and quaint. 


No comments: