Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Walk up a Mountain

Yesterday was another beautiful day in Cape Dorset. I've been told the weather is not always this perfect this time of year, so Terin and I are quite thankful that it has been blue skies and calm because it has provided us a great opportunity to explore more of the surroundings. Many of the staff decided to climb up to a place called the "Sewage Pond" which had been made to serve that purpose but then it was decided it was not a good location so it has become a popular place to go and explore. I was secretly a little bit skeptical about the "Sewage Pond" because in my southern mind the idea of an unused sewage pond did not lend itself to the idea of fun. Yet I was wrong.

The walk up to the pond was beautiful. The higher we got the more the community of Cape Dorset spread out below us and the smallness of our existence once again was noticeable once again. It's an experience that I've notice happens regularly here for me and one that I appreciate. Once to the Sewage Pond some of the staff decided to climb the rest of the way up local Kinngait Mountain, but some of decided against it because we did not have the proper footwear for the climb (though I found out later I could have made it with my boots). However I still had a fun time because those of us who stayed at the pond explored the rocks and the view from there.

I've rediscovered my love of rock collecting and through the snow there are often patches of rocks protruding through the snow which provide an array of amazing little gems which I hope to bring home, but am unsure if I have too many!


A small portion of rocks I've collected

The beginning of the hike yesterday, Kinngait in the background 

No comments: