Saturday, March 22, 2014

school day, huskies and dance

Yesterday was a fun filled day! I taught most of the day, which is something I always enjoy. The students seem to enjoy the games I try to make out of the math I am teaching and they seemed quite engaged in my continuation of the introduction to the scientific method (we had to try to come up with a hypothesis for how to fix our broken snowmobile, but apparently my broken snowmobile picture was a little more broken then fixable, but the students decided to go with it anyway, though some of them did suggest dragging it to the dump!) In the afternoon I was able to find time to finish the art project they started last week.  They turned out great, and I hope I can post some pictures and it was pleasing to   watch them enjoy being creative and using pastels (one of my favourite go-to's for art lessons).

After school, there is a program called "Huskies" that Terin and I have been shadowing the last few weeks. It provides students with computer time, gym time and a snack.  It's a pretty cool program that provides kids with something to do after school.  It's fun to watch them play and have a good time, and it's a nice opportunity to meet students I might not actually have a chance to meet.

In the evening we were invited to the grade 3-6 dance. It was such a blast and professionally put on by a very technologically talented teacher here.  The students were dressed to the nines and having so much fun. The evening ended with a traditional Inuktitut dance that lasted 20+ minutes and involved everyone (including the teachers) being paired up and doing a rather complicated dance which I was graciously taught by one of my grade 4 students. I was told later that everyone in the community knows how to do the dance and it's very common at events for this dance to occur. It was fun!



No comments: