Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The first day!

Yesterday teachers were required to go into the school to get their classes ready.  I'd already spent from morning until night on Friday, Saturday and Sunday preparing my class and still didn't feel ready on Monday.  I arrived at the school at 6am and didn't leave until around 10pm, and it wasn't until my logical roommate and a few senior staff came by and told me that "You can't make it perfect on the first day", so I relaxed a bit and left; besides I was quite satisfied with the classroom and was just hoping my students would love it.

So today I arrived super early again to do some finishing touches on the classroom and rehearse what I was going to first say to my class.  I was SO scared of their first impression of me that I thought of about 10 different things I could say.  I had written a morning message with the syllabics for "good morning" and I had made sure the alphabet in Inuktitut was ON top of English alphabet, and a few other things I could think of to try to physically show them how interested I am their language and culture, but what the heck were my first words to them going to be?!

Eight forty rolled around, the bell rang, and all the kids, all their families and then many people who just wanted to see the first day piled into the gym and sat down.  Our Principal welcomed everyone back and then one of my fellow teachers proceeded to say a teachers name at which point the teacher would walk to the front of the gym, then announce each child in the class...at which point each child was to walk to the front of the gym and join their teacher. After each class was finished, something was said in Inuktitut and everyone applauded and cheered.  It was actually really cool to see a community come together and get so excited about school!

The assembly went as follows:

-The first kindergarten teacher was called to the front.
-Then each child was announced at which point some of the little kids jumped to their feet and ran as fast as they could to stand next to their teacher, some walked up looking completely confused and continued to look a their parents who were eagerly gesturing to their babies that this was something GOOD, not bad! And then there were the criers...both parents and children.
-This continued on all the way up through the grades, but as you can imagine the tears became fewer and the older the students got the more nonchalant they were about going to the front.
-I began to sweat profusely at the thought of having to walk up in front of all the parents and have each child walk towards me with no enthusiasm, but I was pleasantly surprised! I had a few even run and jump which thrilled me!
-once my kids were lined up we walked to the class and started the day.


To be honest it's all kind of a blur. I'm not use to having a class to myself, nor am I use to being responsible for all the space in my quite large classroom.  Not that it's any different from any other time I teach, but I often found myself trying to remember where I put something down. Thankfully my students thought this was great because they could remind me.

As the day progressed I do remember thinking "are these kids actually this great?" or am I dreaming! I think I've lucked myself into what will hopefully be a productive and fun year with my new class! I can't wait for tomorrow.

However, as excited as I am preparing a classroom for your future young learners has exhausted me! Plus both Terin and I contracted a cold from our new neighbours adorable baby, so I must hit the sack.  I hope everyone is well!

Kris

PS- these pictures aren't the final product, but I forgot to take pictures today of the class.  This is from Sunday I think.






No comments: