Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Notable things to share.

1. Our smoke detector speaks in a female British accent and also knows french.  I'm not kidding. One of them started beeping on Sunday and after about half an hour it said "Your battery is low" then repeated the same thing in French. Terin and I laughed hysterically! Then Monday and Tuesday it didn't beep at all or inform us any new information, but this morning she (the smoke detector I've now christened Sally) seems to have gotten another gust of wind and decided to beep and talk when I got home (I'm assuming she didn't tire out during the day and simply wait for me to come home to start telling me things).  You might be asking why Terin or I did not simply change the battery...we couldn't reach her. See this particular smoke detector is about 13 feet in the air and to get her we would need a ladder, which apparently we should have packed one, and our other option would involve us having to walk down a rocky embankment from the school with a giant ladder and to be honest I think we both thought it would just stop.  So after arriving home today after being at school for thirteen hours, when I heard our high tech british roommate tell me that MY battery was low, I tried everything I could to make her stop. First I yelled at Sally and tried to reason with her (I must say she's kind of a witch) Then I tried to knock her off the wall by violently throwing the only thing I could find which was a pairs of rolled up socks. I suffice to say it didn't work. What did work, was bringing a kitchen chair up, sliding my large dresser drawers out in the hall way and climbing on top of the drawers and yanking that sucker off the wall. I'm sitting here in peace now.

2. One of my favourite thing to do right now is ask tiny little kids what their name is in Inuktitut (sounds like "Kee-now-vee?"). Little kids always smile at Terin and I... I haven't figured out if it's just because kids are cute, or if it's their way of greeting us, or they just find us funny to look at because we're new...so when they smile I always bend down and say "Kee-now-vee?" (I apologize for not remember actually how to spell it) and their little smiles go from smiles to confusion in a split second...at which point I repeat myself, they giggle, say their name and then I reply "Kris oovunga" (again the spelling is wrong)...which results in them either starring at me and giggling, or them saying something in Inuktitut which is completely over my head; then my gig is up! But it sure is cute, and I'm hoping they might teach me a few words.

3. Photocopiers in Nunavut are as irritating and frustrating as they are down south.

4. Vegetables and fruit ARE available in our two grocery stores and the prices are fair. Vegetables and fruit we've bought or seen in the two stores include, Corn on the cob, asparagus, brussels sprouts, parsnips, sweet potatoes, potatoes, beans, lettuce (both iceberg and romain), cucumber, carrots, lemons, limes, apples, oranges, pears, grapes, mango, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions of different varieties and I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

5. Pop is the drink of choice.


No comments: