Sunday, August 17, 2014

A walk to Dead Dog Lake...also known as Ice Lake

Today I continued working on preparing my classroom.  It's been a lot of work but I am completely enjoying it.  Tomorrow is the official first day of school for teachers and the students will be in on Tuesday.  I am super anxious and nervous about the first day with the students, but the staff here has been so supportive (as usual), plus I'm not the only new teacher which makes it easier.

At noon today some of us went for a walk to a place we walked in March called "Dead Dog Lake", which turns out to actually be called Ice Lake...but no one calls it that.  When we walked there in the winter is seems like a barren flat valley between two very large white hills. Today it was a beautiful array of plants growing over the landscape which surprised me because I envisioned either no plants, or just lichen and maybe arctic cotton.  But I was thrilled to see all the vegetation.

I'm going to "hit the hay" because I'm quite tired after a lovely dinner at the Principals house but I will upload some of the pictures for those who want to, to enjoy!  It really is pretty here!


                                                                     Arctic Cotton



Part "Dead Dog Lake" aka Ice Lake



Arctic Cotton that hasn't bloomed


More Arctic Cotton




Lichen (it's really pretty and many different colours)



No comments: