Monday, October 27, 2014

Snow day in October.... that's right!

Though most teachers may secretly enjoy a snow day (or as it goes here in Cape Dorset a snow morning, to be followed by an update at lunch), I am not one of those teachers. I think perhaps my need for routine outweighs any joy I would find from sleeping in... plus I wake up at 5am no matter what.  So alas, I'm sitting here, twiddling my thumbs, wishing I had brought all the grading I have left to do home and contemplating trying to walk through the giant snow drifts to go feign some type of normality at the school... but first I will blog!

We had a concert at the high school here last Tuesday put on by a guy named Luke and his daughter Chloe.  He's a singer in a band called Whitehorse, which I never heard of until I was told they were coming to Cape Dorset. The music wasn't exactly my style. It reminded me of the song "Hotel California" by the eagles, which is a good song, but not over and over and over again. However there is no doubt that the two of them are extremely talented (his guitar playing was awesome, and she had a beautiful voice), and it seemed the community really enjoyed having them here and I must admit it was nice to have something fun to do on a Tuesday night. One of my favourite parts of the night was the very beginning when the audience was treated to throat singing! I had the good fortune of hearing them at my friend's house a few days prior, but to see them on stage and to hear it was really amazing! I'm currently trying to figure out a few throat singing techniques, and I hope to impress my friend the next time I see her.

Unfortunately I was extremely tired that night and around 8:30pm decided to walk home... unbeknownst to me there was going to be an Inuktitut dance at the end of the night! I definitely would have stayed if I knew that, as I absolutely love being a part of those!

This past week at school has also been really fun due to the lead up to Halloween.  We had a Halloween dance on Friday night which was put on by my friend Scott (he literally could set up an awesome dance in his sleep), and we all dressed up and had a great laugh. Though my jaw still hurts from laughing too much.


I have no doubt this week will be full of fun things too, as long as the snow stops!


Proof I wear the hat Darren bought me! Thank you again!




Fellow teacher showing the kids how it's done!  yay Heidi!


Heidi let one of her students bring a puppy to school... yes that's right... a puppy!  Best idea ever!


Halloween dance, and some of our costumes.

Throat singing.. this video DOES NOT do it justice!



No comments: